Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ni ryari izuba, Rizagaruka, Hejuru yacu, Ni nd' uzaricyeza ricyeza

I think about my beloved Rwanda everyday of my life. Sometimes the stories I heard, and things I saw still haunt me. I know I was only 3 years old when the genocide happened, and not even living in the US at the time, but I can't help but feel anger towards America for turning their backs on the people of Rwanda who were being slaughtered everyday.



America, the Land of the Brave? Think again. So many lives could have been saved if they put in even a little bit of effort. Over a three-month period over 1 million innocent men, women and children were murdered. Why? Because of hate. I came to Rwanda 17 years after the genocide, but yet I was told they STILL find bodies every 2 weeks or so. I figured out that, that is equal to FOUR 9/11 attacks a day. Yes it is a travesty when anyone is a victim of a hate crime, but what makes the victims of 9/11 more important than the Tutsi's of Rwanda?



I try to stay positive because my experience there was wonderful, and I met so many brave compassionate people who watched their families killed right before their eyes, yet they have forgiven those who trespassed against them, so why should I still feel anger?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that anyone would argue that what happened to the Tutsi's is tragic. Because it is; tragic, devastating, evil, etc.

    I love America. Not because it's perfect. But because even with all of it's flaws, it's definitely a wonderful place to live.

    There are travesties happening all around the world today. Abuse, scandals, murders, enslavement, inhumane behavior of every variety. Not one nation can solve it all. Even though it would be nice if we could.

    The Tutsi's provide a beautiful example of forgiveness that even I, through your stories can learn from. They experienced it first-hand, and yet, instead of focusing on the past horrors, they focus on a beautiful future. I have to remind myself to do the same thing. There are many things that happen in this world to the young, the innocent, the pure, that enrage me. But that intense feeling of anger usually doesn't amount to anything productive, just feelings of anger.

    I think it's beautiful how much you love your Tutsi people. You can tell by the way you write. I think serving them and informing the those in your circle about them and their story is a wonderful way to do them justice. You can't change their history, but your helping all of us (even one blog reader at a time) become more aware of them and their future.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete