Thursday, January 6, 2011

Rwanda 01/06/11

I am now getting settled into my new home in the beautiful city of Gisenyi. We are about 2 miles away from an active volcano, and the same distance away from the boarder of Congo. I have been very discouraged so far for a number of reasons: The national language of Rwanda is English, but no one speaks it. All the medical records that I have to do are in French, but understanding peoples' French here is very difficult, and most don't speak it anyway. I am working on my Kinyarwanda, but it just takes time to learn a language. The last two days have helped me a lot, to become less discouraged however.
Today I helped deliver a baby. I have to admit I was absolutely terrified, but I put my brave face on, and got to work. Towards the end of labor I offered a silent prayer that I would be strong and able to do this, and that the mother and baby would both be healthy. Less than 2 minutes after the beautiful baby boy was born I passed out. It was an amazing testimony of prayer for me. Heavenly Father preserved me just long enough to do what I needed to do; then let my body take its natural course. It's one of my best friends birthday today, so it was a wonderful thing to happen-bring a baby into this world on this special day.
Yesterday I spent the day at the orphanage. It was incredible in so many ways. But best of all it helped me be less frustrated with the language barrier. I learned something important; there is no need for a common language when showing love and compassion. At the orphanage I was overwhelmed at the love I could feel for the children who climbed on my lap and wrapped my arms around them. They just wanted to feel loved for a few minutes out of their week. We could not understand each other, but it didn't matter. We still played, sang songs, and most of all opened our hearts to each other.
As I held the hand of the mother in labor we once again couldn't speak the same language but as she held tightly to my hand, and I rubbed her arm and shoulders I could feel my love for her, and I knew she was grateful I was there for her. After the birth she looked up, and we made eye contact, and I smiled at her with tears in my eyes, thankful that I had been there to help her in her time of need, knowing she felt the same way.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure my eyes are full of tears RIGHT NOW!! I can totally see you in Rwanda right now showing your love for the wonderful people there. I am only jealous that they get your love and hugs right now, but I do not. Keep going!! I'm praying for you! <3 ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you got to help deliver a baby! You're having so many incredibly experiences, jealous!

    ReplyDelete