Friday, January 14, 2011

Rwanda 1/14/11

This week has been an interesting one. Monday we spent in Kigali doing several different errands, and lounging in a tent at Shokola. That night when I was back home in Gisenyi I started throwing up, and sweating more than I ever have in my life. I didn’t sleep much that night, and thought I was close to death. Tuesday, I was still sick, and Wednesday not fully recovered yet. So my good friend/translator had her sister come over and braid my hair like a true African woman. Thursday I felt much better so I went to the clinic-good thing I did because it was a busy day! When I got there, there were two women ready to deliver, however they weren’t dilated very much, so I went into the recovery room and was talking to a patient, and holding her newborn daughter. She told me that I could name her. I named her my favorite name, Adeline. I felt so honored! I spent the rest of my time at the clinic doing medical paper work (all in French) and passing out, preparing people’s medications. The woman still weren’t dilated enough, and I had to go home for Kristi’s party. She was having her “women” over who are part of her gender based violence group. Today I went to the orphanage, to help teach the 4 year olds group, and have movie time with the 15-20 year olds. I am loving my time here, lots of good experiences, new friends, and a ton of love. Everything would be perfect if only Laurent were here; I miss him more than I thought I ever would!

No comments:

Post a Comment