Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rwanda 1/22/11

Genocide
It's Friday and I'm very excited to have a relaxing weekend. After Marit, SynnØve and I left the orphanage we went to the market to buy vegetables to make guacamole, and went on an aimless search for chapatti. We got a movie called A Saturday in Kigali to watch. It was a movie about the genocide. I have found here that NO ONE talks about the genocide. Or if they do they mention it casually like "Yeah my parents, and 3 of my siblings got killed in 1994." They never say genocide, only 1994. The movie was shocking and horrifying to see. Even though it unpleasant to watch I think it was important to do so. Rwanda is a lesson to the world in forgiveness, and moving on from the past. If these people can still smile and enjoy their tragedy stricken lives, then we can do the same on a much smaller scale in our own lives.

1 comment:

  1. Margot. You are amazing. I can not think of a better person to be doing this service. Stay beautiful!

    ReplyDelete