Wednesday, June 8, 2011

When I grow up I want to be...

After years of being asked what I want to be when I grow up, I can finally answer that question! If you know me, you know I have a wide variety of interests, so I couldn't just settle on one degree; I'm going for 3.

#1 Interior Designer. This is what I started college majoring in; the only difference is that I'm going to get my associates now instead of bachelors. Reasoning: I love designing, and being creative but not so much the technical side of it, which is what a lot of the bachelor's degree focused on. I really didn't see a point in taking a bunch of classes in things I would NEVER actually use in my career. This will be a good profession when I have a family because I can just work from home and take on as many clients as I feel comfortable doing!

#2 Global Studies, with a minor in Travel and Tourism. This is an obvious choice for me-someone who has lived their whole life traveling. I love learning about the world, and traveling is probably my number one passion in life. With the minor in T&T it will also give me some great job opportunities.
#3 I want to get my Masters in Country Development. Ever since volunteering in Rwanda it has opened my eyes so much to how badly other countries need our help. This masters program is offered mostly outside the US, which is great because I would love to move someone outside the country for an extended period of time. This also fits perfectly with what Laurent wants to do, Anthropology, (just like my father, funny?!) with an emphasis on archeology. I don't like planning too far in advance, but I could see him out in the field digging/doing research while I work for a NGO like World Vision.
Anyway, I feel good about finally reaching a decision! I know it'll be a long road with lots of hard work, but I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment