Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rwanda 2/18/11

One of the things I’m most proud of about going to Rwanda is that I actually went! This post is for people who want to volunteer. I wanted to go to Rwanda so I did some research, talked to people, found a reputable organization, picked a time to go, found a program I would enjoy, and applied. I got accepted, and spent the next few months working hard, and saving every penny I earned. Before I knew it I was crying my eyes out on the way to the airport. Yes, it is a scary thing to do! Going halfway across the world by yourself, but it’s all in the experience in becoming a stronger person. I have to admit I called Laurent after my second day at the clinic, crying saying it was harder than I thought it would be. I expected him to tell me that it was okay, I could come home. But instead he gave me such wonderful words of encouragement. I was able to get up the next morning, and the next until I loved everyday and was excited about the day. I don’t think he understands the impact he had on me. I will forever be grateful to him for being so wonderful in my time of need. So this goes to show you that it doesn’t take a special person to go volunteer; anyone can do it. It just takes a little bit of courage, passion, and encouragement from loved ones back home. It was some of the hardest weeks of my life, but as I’ve told several people: I wouldn’t change a second of it for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment