Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rwanda 2/24/11

This will be my last post about my journey in Rwanda. I’ve had a hard time missing Rwanda since the second I got on the bus in Gisenyi. As I’ve been pondering and pining away for the past, I have come to the conclusion that no matter what is going on in my life, I have to live in the present. I need to be passionate about whatever it is I am doing, whether it is just going to work everyday, or developing new talents and hobbies. My last night in Kigali Lynn, and I talked a lot about “the circle of life.” All of us came from all over the world for the same purpose and were placed in a home together to learn and grow from one another’s examples. We laughed, we cried, and formed life long bonds and now it’s time for the next phase of our lives. Although it’s time to move on I realize I didn’t have these experiences just for that short time in my life, but I will have these things with me for the rest of my life. Another thing I discussed with my “sisters” is how strange it is that we as human beings put ourselves in situations that will be emotionally hard for us. I knew I would be working with people who have had some of the worst atrocities happen to them. I knew I would form bonds, and then have to be ripped away from that. I knew this would be one of the hardest things I ever did, but there I was in Rwanda. Why do we do that?
Well this is my closing of my time in Rwanda. I hope I brightened someone’s day, I hope I helped change a life, but I know the people of Rwanda have changed mine.

I walked a long way in these shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment